Have you found a puddle of water in the mechanical room or notice a wet spot on the ceiling tile? If so, something is wrong. Likely, you’re A/C has a leak! What do you do now??!!
First, don’t hit the panic button! There are several possible causes for an A/C to leak water and many of them are not a difficult and expensive repair.
However, it is important to act quickly, because a leaking A/C can cause major damage to walls, ceilings, floors, furniture, and could lead to major repairs or equipment replacement. Proper Preventative Maintenance provided by your trusted Commercial HVAC Service provider can help prevent most of the issues listed below.
COMMON REASONS WHY AN A/C MAY LEAK WATER
- FROZEN COILS – Probably the most common reason an A/C leaks water. Locate your indoor air handler and look at the evaporator coils. If you see a block of ice, turn the unit off immediately and call your Commercial HVAC professional for a service call.
- DIRTY COILS – When regular maintenance is neglected, it is common to find dust, grime, and dirt on the A/C coils. The dust, grime, and dirt buildup can impede the flow of water to the drain pan.
- DAMAGED INSULATION – Insulation on your coils are designed to keep the accumulated condensation flowing down the coil. However, when the insulation gets damaged with cracks or holes, water can drip directly from the coil instead of flowing to the drain pan as it should.
- DISCONNECTED DRAIN LINE – This problem usually stems from a poor installation. If you’re A/C’s drain line wasn’t attached correctly, it can become disconnected and lead to an A/C water leak.
- CLOGGED DRAIN LINE OR TRAP – Here is another issue due to lack of maintenance. The condensation collected by your air conditioner carried dust and debris into the drain line and drain pan. This causes the drain line to clog and results in the water to backing up and overflowing/leaking.
Learn more about HVAC preventative maintenance and how important it is to get the right plan for your facility. Here are some links to additional information:
- BUDGETING? Why you should BUDGET for PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE
- I AM HVAC. HEAR ME ROAR!
- R22 Phase Out: What you need to know
- HVAC Cleaning is a MUST! Here Comes the GERMS!!