AVOID FROZEN PIPES IN YOUR COMMERCIAL FACILITY
For many building owners and facility managers, frozen pipes can be one of the most significant problems that occur during the cold months.
Items that can contribute to frozen pipes:
- PIPES THAT ARE NOT WELL INSULATED. Insulated pipes keep the warmth in and the cold out. If pipes are not insulated, it is much more likely that the water inside them will freeze.
- PIPES LOCATED IN NON-CLIMATE CONTROLLED AREAS OF YOUR FACILITY. Commercial buildings may have areas that are not climate controlled or have poor heat distribution. These areas include basements, exterior walls, or more remote spaces.
- PIPES FREEZE BECAUSE THERE IS NO WATER CIRCULATION. Water supply lines and drainage pipes can be sensitive to freezing temperatures. These lines/pipes often have water sitting stationary for long periods of time.
TIPS TO HELP PREVENT PIPES FROM FREEZING IN YOUR FACILITY
- INSULATE THE PIPES. Use pre-formed pipe sheaths or wrap the pipes with standard blanket-style insulation.
- INSULATE THE BUILDING. It is also a good idea to insulate areas that are likely to get cold. Increased insulation can also make your building more energy efficient.
- USE HEAT TAPES. Heat tapes are lengths of wire with embedded heating elements that warm up to heat pipes. These can be wrapped around your pipes to prevent freezing.
- SEAL AIR LEAKS. Make sure to seal any cracks, holes and gaps that allow cold air to blow in on pipes.
HARDY SERVICES IS HERE TO HELP WITH ALL OF YOU HVAC, PLUMBING AND BUILDING AUTOMATION NEEDS!
CALL US AT (205)591-5678 OR VISIT US AT HARDYSERV.COM.